There is a collective weariness that we’re facing right now. Do you feel it? The world, at large, has been facing some particularly devastating blows. Our personal lives are undoubtedly littered with things that are worth grieving. We are so tired; we deeply long for rest. The question is, where are we turning? In today’s episode, we are joined by Emily Lex. Emily is an artist and the author of Freely & Lightly: God’s Gracious Invitation to a Life of Quiet Confidence. This is a book for those that are worn out. Worn out from the heaviness of our broken world but also from the search for personal significance. In response to this weariness, Emily invites us to look into God’s Word and see Jesus’s invitation to find true rest. We work through these questions:
- Why are so many of us constantly tired or weary? (5:17)
- Why aren’t our go-to solutions to remedy our weariness working? (10:42)
- How is true rest in Christ different from the rest the world offers? (13:28)
- How does an understanding of God’s character help us find true rest? (15:22)
- What does it mean that “real rest requires an undoing”? (21:03)
- What rhythms can we incorporate into our lives to find real rest? (23:35)
- What if life is just too busy or stressful to experience rest? (26:21)
- What first steps can we take to pursue real rest? (30:55)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Freely & Lightly: God’s Gracious Invitation to a Life of Quiet Confidence by Emily Lex
Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund
The Happy Ears Earplug
John Mark Comer
Get the first 3 chapters of Free & Lightly for free! (scroll to the bottom of the page)
Scripture mentioned in this episode:
2 Corinthians 10:5
Connect with us:
Subscribe to Daily Grace: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and click subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and choose your podcast app. If needed, you can copy this link directly into your favorite podcast app (like Stitcher or Overcast). Or follow us on Spotify!
We would love it if you took a few minutes to leave us an iTunes review to help spread the word about Daily Grace! We want to invite more women into our conversations!
Download The Daily Grace app: for iOS, click here to download. On Android, click here to download.
Visit The Daily Grace Co. for beautiful products for the whole family that will equip you on your journey to knowing and loving God more.
Subscribe to The Daily Grace Newsletter and receive free Bible study resources in your inbox.
Like The Daily Grace Co. on Facebook.
Follow @dailygracepodcast on Instagram for exclusive podcast content and @thedailygraceco for all things The Daily Grace Co.
Engage with our Facebook community, “The Daily Grace Co. Community”.
Read The Daily Grace blog for encouragement throughout the week that is steeped in biblical truths.
* Affiliate links used are used where appropriate. Thank you for supporting the products that support the production of this podcast! *
The opinions of guests on the Daily Grace podcast do not represent the opinions of The Daily Grace Co., and we do not necessarily endorse the resources that they recommend or mention on the show. We believe it is valuable to hear from a variety of guests, even if we do not agree in all areas. As always, the statements made by hosts and guests on the show should be tested against God's Word, the only authority on truth.